Wednesday, January 13, 2016

purple passion fruit pavlovas

It was December when I saw it for the first time. They were 'pushing' each other in blue cardboard box, covered with plastic foil. Although the box was deep it was fully packed with these little purple creatures and some of them were able to 'swim to the surface' and attract a curious buyer. By then I only saw it in cookbooks, and on internet. I was surprised and excited at the same time.
'I know you. You are suppose to be acidic. But this is the first time we meet in live and I am not sure if you should look like this.'
I once again reached for the label where it was printed in capitals PASSION FRUIT.
I took only six. They were so light, these six purple fruits weighted something under two hundred grams. And when I got home I only observed them for some time. Day after, I cut one in half and  sour-sweet pulp vibrant in color attacked me. Since that very moment I've been infected with exotic passion, tender passion barely controllable.













































Purple Passion Fruit Pavlovas
for 10-12 mini pavlovas
3 egg whites, room temperature
pinch of salt
175g white sugar
1tsp starch (cornflour), sifted
1tsp lemon juice

250ml double cream ; 6 purple passion fruits

Preheat the oven to 140ºC. Whisk the egg whites with the salt until firm peaks are formed. Add sugar in additions, slowly, and continue beating until you've got a bowl of snowy meringue. Sift in starch (cornflour) and add lemon juice. Gently and patiently fold until everything is mixed in.
Draw 10-12 circles of approximately 8cm on baking paper. 
Spoon the meringue, 2 tablespoons, onto the baking paper into the each circle smoothing the sides and the top using back of the spoon or spatula.
Place them into the oven, turn the temperature down to 110ºC and bake for about one hour. Turn the oven off and leave them in to cool.
Once they are ready for assembling, whisk the cream and dollop it on top of the each meringue. Smooth the cream with the back of the spoon and place passion fruit pulp on top.
Play Martin Denny Exotica on repeat for unique and exiting pleasure!



No comments:

Post a Comment