Sunday, March 10, 2019

no-churn ice cream

 

Once I had a dream. I was sitting in a chair, cinema chair, but with a seat belt on. I was in a space seeing Earth from above. And I can’t remember eating an ice cream. Was I eating an ice cream up there? I must have. And it has to be this one, outer space flavors.

At home, in my room, I sometimes eat ice cream scoops in cones.
They melt in my mouth fast and ‘when you swallow it, you start floating.‘

No-churn ice cream
Salted Caramel and Raspberry Swirl Creme Fraiche



(Recipe for salted caramel ice cream is adopted from Nigella Lawson‘s cookbook, At My Table)
 
Salted Caramel
390g dulce de leche
300ml double cream
1 teaspoons soft sea salt flakes 
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)

Place dulce de leche into a large bowl and add the cream and a teaspoon of salt and vanilla and whisk until it thickens (be patient, it takes some time). Decant into one liter tub, cover and place into the freezer overnight. 

Raspberry Swirl Creme Fraiche
350ml fresh raspberry juice, I used frozen raspberries which were heated up and passed through a sieve to remove the pips
60g sugar  
2tsp cornstarch
300ml double cream
200g creme fraiche, room temperature
200ml sweetened condensed milk

Place raspberry juice, sugar and cornstarch into a saucepan and cook over medium heat until it thickens, about 5 minutes and make sure to stir. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly before placing it to the fridge to cool completely. 
Place creme fraiche and sweetened condensed milk into a large bowl and mix to remove any lumps. Add cream and continue to whisk until it thickens. 
Place 1/3 of the cream mixture into a tub, then add half of chilled raspberry cream over the top. Repeat with another third of cream mixture and the rest of the raspberries ending with the cream mixture. Make swirls with a skewer through the ice cream. Cover and place into the freezer overnight. Remove from freezer 10-15 minutes prior to serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment