Tuesday, April 2, 2019

note to radishes

I like to snack you just as you are. I always did. 
In my childhood I remember being the only family member loving you. 
Your pink/red appearance attracted me. 
At the time I would eat you as a bowl of candies before lunch.
Now, I like when your thin slices, almost translucent, get coat with olive oil, lemon, Dijon mustard, honey, apple cider vinegar, sea salt and mix with slices of red onion and green apple.
Yesterday you turned your color to neon pink in a heated pan and now I like you even more. 
Please forgive me for not eating your green tops.
I let them wilt. 


Fried Radishes in Olive Oil with Honey, Lemon and Pink Peppercorns / Caramelized Radishes

2 bunches medium radishes
2 tbsp olive oil
one tablespoon honey
about one tablespoon fresh lemon juice
one teaspoon pink peppercorns
sea salt for seasoning 

Wash the radishes, trim the stem ends, and halve or quarter large ones.
Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the radishes arranging them cut-side down in a single layer. Season with salt and add peppercorns, fry for about 2 to 4 minutes, then flip and fry for another 2 to 4 minutes. Add honey and lemon and gently mix everything and roast till the liquid vapors. Check for seasoning.
Serve warm as a side dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment