Sunday, March 8, 2015

typical Sunday with the twist



Sunday, March 8, 2015, started as a pretty typical Sunday.

Two years ago I heard Diane Morgan, cookbook author, talking about using parsnip in an exchange for carrots and since then whenever I think of a carrot cake I actually think of a parsnip cake.
https://soundcloud.com/kcrw/how-to-make-a-parsnip-cake 
If you think of a carrot cake, you might think of a parsnip cake as well. As she said it’s almost the same concept.
You grate parsnip and mix with sweet spices, ground cloves and carob powder in my case. I also used grated apple, because it complements carob in such a good way and it gives that extra moist to the cake. I did not use sugar but I added fresh dates instead, and with this twist I have emphasized that chocolate color that I wanted to get. You can play here and use spices as per your preferences or do exactly like she recommends, cinnamon, nutmeg, golden raisins.
I baked 2 layers instead of three, in 20cm pan cakes. I made cream cheese frosting but I added a dollop of sour cream to lighten up the sweetness of the cream. And I also didn’t frost the sides. I prefer naked cakes and that rustic and wintery look can really blow you away.

Before I cut the cake and served it, I told them that this is a parsnip cake but they didn’t believe me. They said it’s nice and they specially liked the texture. And yes, they were delighted!
Personally I think this is rather a meal then just a dessert and I would recommend to be eaten as a breakfast, late breakfast.

Beautiful naked parsnip cake 







Ingredients
230g parsnip (peeled, grated)
one apple (peeled, grated; around 175g)
250g plain flour
3 tbsp carob powder
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp ground cloves
100g walnuts
150ml sunflower oil
85g fresh dates (pitted)
150g sour cream
3 eggs (large)

Cream cheese frosting
300g cream cheese
100g sour cream
120g powder sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 180oC and line two 20cm round tins with baking paper.
Place all the ingredients into a food processor and run until smooth.
Spoon evenly into prepared tins and bake for about 35-40 minutes/until cake tester comes out clean.  Let layers cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting, whisk together cream cheese, sour cream, vanilla and sifted powder sugar.



No comments:

Post a Comment